Just Prep Raj 0 Comments
OIL AND NATURAL GAS IN RAJASTHAN | RPSC EXAM
Published on October 18, 2021 by Just Prep Raj |
Last Updated on March 15, 2023 by Just Prep Raj
INTRODUCTIONIndia, being the third largest crude oil consumer after USA and China, accounts for 5% of the total world oil consumption. Out of these, 16% is the domestic consumption while 84% is used for the import.Rajasthan is a major producer of crude oil among all the states in India. It contributes around 22-23% to total production of the crude oil. It ranks second after the Bombay High which produces 40%.The state has 4 petroliferous basins spread across 1,50,000 sq. km (14 districts). They are:
- Barmer-Sanchor Basin (Barmer, Jalore)
- Jaisalmer Basin (Jaisalmer)
- Bikaner-Nagaur Basin (Bikaner, Nagaur, Sri Ganganagar, Hanumangarh, Churu)
- Vindhyan Basin (Kota, Baran, Bundi, Jhalawar, part of Bhilwara and Chittorgarh)
EXPLOITATION, PRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES OF CRUDE OIL AND NATURAL GAS
- There is total 14 numbers of commercial crude oil fields i.e., Mangla, Bhagyam, Aishwarya, Saraswati, Raageshwari, Kameshwari and other satellite fields. Around 1,15,000 barrels of oil per day is being produced from these fields.
- Recently, the government has sanctioned 13 petroleum mining leases for exploration of crude oil and natural gas.
- A total of 234 million barrels of proved reserve of crude oil has been assessed in 38 fields discovered in Barmer-Sanchore Basin.
- OIL, ONGC and Cairn India and Focus Energy in Jaisalmer Basin and Barmer-Sanchore Basin ha proved gas reserves of total 13 billion cubic meter.
- Natural gas production by M/s Focus Energy began in 2010, today supply 1-2 lakh cubic meter per day to Ramgarh Power Plant (110+160 MW).
- In Baghewala area in Jaisalmer, heavy oil production of 150-170 barrels per day take place.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas awarded one block of Bikaner-Nagaur Basin to ONGC in 2020 under Open Acreage Licensing Policy (OALP)-IV of New HELP (Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy). It also received Petroleum Exploration Licenses (PELs) from the state government in 2020.
RAJASTHAN REFINERY PROJECT
- It is known as HPCL Rajasthan Refinery Ltd. (HRRL) project.
- It is a partnership of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and Government of Rajasthan with 74% and 26% equity respectively.
- A 9 MMTPA Refinery cum Petrochemical Complex at Pachpadra in Barmer, was established in 2018.
- It produces products of BS-6 standard.
- It is one of own kin ‘integrated with Petrochemical complex in India.
- Recently, a purchase order of Rs. 37,688 crores have been funded while Rs. 5,367 crores have been incurred for different site work related activities.