Just Prep Raj 0 Comments
Major Tourist Attraction in Ajmer
Published on March 20, 2022 by Just Prep Raj |
Last Updated on March 15, 2023 by Just Prep Raj
- This pilgrimage city located few kilometres from Ajmer attracts many tourists, particularly Hindu devotees, across the world.
- Famous monuments include a 14th century built Pushkar Lake, Brahma temple (only temple of Lord Brahma in the world), Gurudwaras dedicated to Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh.
- Every year from Kartik Poornima to following seven days, a Pushkar Camel Fair is organized where various cattle are traded.
- It is also famous for its Holi celebration.
MANIBANDH/ CHAMUNDA MATA TEMPLE
- This temple is situated at Gayatri hills 5 kms and 11 kms from Pushkar and Ajmer respectively.
- It is regarded as one among the 108 Shakti Peeth.
- This temple is known as Chamunda Mata temple.
- Here, the idol of Devi Sati and Lord Shiva are worshipped as Gayatri and Sarvananda.
- The fort is considered as the oldest hill fort in the country.
- It is made of huge blocks of stones with 20 feet thick walls.
- The fort was built by Maharaja Ajay Pal Chauhan of Chauhan dynasty to protect the Ajmer city.
- During British rule it came under Lord William Bentinck, who turned it into a sanatorium for troops at Nasirabad army cantonment area.
- There is a shrine of Muslim Saint Saiyid Husain inside it called as Ganj Shahldan.
- It also has an abandoned garden house of Mughals called as ‘Nur Chashma’.
AJMER SHARIF DARGARH
- A world-wide famous shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti near Taragarh.
- The structure of building is made of white marble. It has a gate donated by the Nizam of Hyderabad.
- There is a mosque called Akbar Mosque inside the dargah where Emperor Akbar used to come along with his queen.
- This mosque act as dome tomb of the saint which was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan.
- It is a royal pilgrimage for Muslim community. They visit in numbers to celebrate Urs of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti on 6th and 7th Rajab of every year.
TOMB OF KHWAJA GUSAIN AJMERI
- This tomb is related to Khwaja Husain Ajmeri, the grandson of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishty of Ajmer.
- It is located near Sola Khamba, behind Dargah Sharif Ajmer.
SONI JI KI NASIYAAN
- It is a Jain temple constructed in late 19th century by a Soni family of Ajmer, which still holds the ownership.
- It is made of red stones with a gold and silver decoration. There is a chamber called Swarna Nagari which depicts the historical city Ayodhya made from 1000 kg of gold.
MAYO COLLEGE MUSEUM
- It is a museum situated in Jhalwar House.
- It is regarded as the largest school museum in the world.
- There are collection of old paintings, sculptures, photographs and coins.
- Mayo College is originally India’s first boarding school since the times of British.
- It was founded by Viceroy Richard Bourke in 1875.
NARELI JAIN TEMPLE
- It is situated 7 kms away from the city on the ranges of the Aravalli mountains.
- This marble temple has appealing architect mixed of traditional and contemporary designs.
- There are 24 miniatures of temple behind on the hill facing the main temple.
- It was built RK Marble family.
AKBARI FORT & MUSEUM
- The fort was built by Akbar in 1570 where his son Prince Salim lived.
- Emperor Jahangir allowed British East India Company to trade with India in this fort when Sir Thomas Roe came to ask for the permission.
- Today, the museum has collection of artifacts and weapon from Mughal and Rajput reign.
- It had been used as administrative headquarter by British and Marathas.
- The structure is still connected with the walls of the old city constructed that time.
ANA SAGAR LAKE
- This famous man-made lake was built by Maharaj Anaji.
- It is spread over 13 km and have an island structure in between the lake.
- Emperor Jahangir built a garden called Daulat Bagh by the lake.
- Later, Emperor Shah Jahan built five pavilions between the garden and the embankment of the lake. It is called as Baradari.
- Boat rides and Chowpatty are there to offer fun and food to visitors.
LAKE FOY SAGAR
- Another artificial lake which was made under famine relief project in 1892 by a British engineer Mr. Foy.
- One can watch beautiful migrating birds and Aravalli hill range from here.
- In past, the water for city consumption was supplied from here through underground pipes.
- It was built to honour Maharaj Prithviraj Chauhan of Ajmer.
- It is located on the way towards Taragarh Fort.
- It is a life-size idol of King Prithviraj Chauhan on horseback.
ADHAI DIN KA JHOPRA
- This historical Islamic monument was first built by Abu Bakr and then Qutb-ud-Din-Aibak in 1192.
- It is among the oldest mosques in India.
- It was named so because it is believed that the shed was prepared within two and a half days.
- There are many architectural relics and sculptures of temple kept inside the passage of the building.
- This mosque building was taken over by ASI after independence.
- It attracts visitors from all religions across India as it has a mixture of Hindu, Jain and Muslim architectures.