NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS 15 DEC| Jeremy Farrer | RAS
Published on December 15, 2022 by Just Prep Raj |
Last Updated on April 3, 2023 by Just Prep Raj
NATIONAL NEWS | Jeremy Farrer |15 DEC | RAS | PRE | MAINS
- Jeremy Farrer (74) has been appointed as a new chief scientist of the World Health Organization (WHO).
- He will join WHO in the second quarter of 2023.
- He has replaced Soumya Swaminathan, who had served as chief scientist from 2019 to 2022.
- Polish Tennis Player, Iga Swiatek (World No. 1) has been selected for the 2022 WTA player of the year by the Woman’s Tennis Association.
- Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw has announced a new train- ‘Kashi Tamil Sangamam’ between Kashi in UP and TamilNadu to Commemorate the incredible cultural bond between Kashi and TamilNadu.
- Kashi Tamil Sangamam is a month long programme organized by the Ministry of Education, as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Kerala Forest Department has launched ‘Vanikaran’ project to restore natural Vegetation.
- Sri Aurobindo Ghosh 150th Birth Anniversary:- Dec 13, 2022, PM will release a Commemorative Coin and postal stamp in honor of Sri Aurobindo.
- Indian International Science 8th edition will be held in Bhopal. It is an initiative of Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of Earth Science of GOI.
- New Zealand has passed a new Anti- Smoking laws, which banned the future generation of NZ from purchasing Tobacco.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.01 What are the 3 main goals of WHO?
Ans: WHO works worldwide to promote health, keep the world safe, and serve the vulnerable. Our goal is to ensure that a billion more people have universal health coverage, to protect a billion more people from health emergencies, and provide a further billion people with better health and well-being.
Q.02 WHO are the members of WHO?
Ans: SOUTH-EAST ASIA
- INDIA (2020-2023) Mr Rajesh Bhushan. Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. New Delhi.
- MALDIVES (2022-2025) Mr Ahmed Naseem. Minister of Health. Malé
- TIMOR-LESTE (2021-2024) Dr Odette Maria Freitas Belo. Minister of Health. Dili.
Q.03 WHO is the present head of WHO?
Ans: Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was elected WHO Director-General for a five-year term by WHO Member States at the Seventieth World Health Assembly in May 2017.
Q.04 What are the 5 functions of WHO?
- Promoting development. …
- Fostering health security. …
- Strengthening health systems. …
- Harnessing research, information and evidence. …
- Enhancing partnerships. …
- Improving performance.
Other Popular Articles